Saturday 8 March 2008

Easy Blueberry Pancakes w/ Whipped Cinnamon Sour Cream

I saw a tin of blueberries in my local supermarket and instantly got a craving for blueberry pancakes. My usual recipe calls for frozen berries, but I actually found the tinned ones to be closer to fresh as they don't seem to break down and you don't end up with purple pancakes.

I have no idea why or how I came up with this, we were having blueberry pancakes and I wanted something creamy to go with and only had sour cream. I tried to whisk it and to my surprise I was left with this heavenly cheesecakey creamy topping.

Pancake Batter

2 Cup SR Flour
1/4 Brown Sugar (or more depending on the sweetness of your tooth)
2 TBS Oil
2 Egg - Seperated
1 1/2 Cups Milk
2 Tsp Vanilla
1 400g tin of Blueberries in Syrup (drained and lightly rinsed)

Whipped Cinnamon Sour Cream

1 300ml Tub Sour Cream
1/4 tsp Cinnamon (or to taste)
3-4 TBSP Icing Sugar

Icing Sugar for Dusting

In a large bowl whisk Flour & Sugar. In another medium sized bowl whisk together the wet ingredients (minus the egg whites) and combine the wet and dry ingredients. Fold the blueberries into the pancake batter and set aside. In another bowl whisk the 2 egg whites until stiff then gently fold into pancake batter. Cook pancakes on a medium low heat as they tend to darken quickly due to the sugar and fruit content. I use my ice cream scoop to get the right size I want

In another bowl whisk cream sugar and cinnamon together until it thickens (yes sour cream does thicken... its BLISS!)

Layer on a plate some pancakes, dust with icing sugar and serve a generous TBS or so of the Thickened Sour Cream and enjoy.


This combination is HEAVENLY and it tastes almost like blueberry cheesecake.

ENJOY! It sounds like lots of work but in reality the whipping of egg whites & cream take all of 3 minutes and it is way worth it. - Photo's will be up soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.