Saturday 21 July 2007

Cailin's Apple Crumble Muffins

Who doesn't like muffins? And who doesn't like Apple Crumble? Well I got a craving for apple muffins one Sunday morning and a craving for that yummy crumble topping and that is how this recipe was born. I couldn't find a recipe I liked (it can't be possible for me to be the only person with this secret desire!) so I tweaked a muffin recipe I had and added my own crumble topping.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Self Raising flour, sifted
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup unsalted butter softened (or salted butter but minus the salt from the recipe)
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 cup chopped tinned pie apples apples

Crumble Topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3-4 Tablespoons plain flour

Method for Crumble Topping:
In a small bowl mix together flour, sugar and cinnamon. Add butter and rub together till crumble forms (should be a cross between crumbs and biscuit dough), set aside and make batter.

Method for Muffin Batter:
Sift together dry ingredients into mixing bowl (I just whisk them all together, a nice trick I learnt from Martha). Rub butter into dry ingredients until fine crumbs form. Lightly whisk egg and milk. Add to dry ingredients all at once, stir together just until all combined (don't worry if there are any lumps as over mixing can create tough muffins).

Gently fold in apples. Spoon batter into muffin tins (I use my clicky ice cream scoop), filling each about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with crumble topping. Bake in 375° F, 190° C or 170° C fan forced, oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown (takes me about 20).

Makes about 12 muffins.


We have these for Breakfast As on weekends we have one sweet cooked breaky day and one savoury... Every time I make these they disappear and there are no leftovers. So I assure you they will be a hit!

No comments: